Collins/Nicholson Boating Handbook: The essential guide to getting afloat (Waterways Guide) by Emrhys Barrell
A practical, usable guide to getting afloat on Britain's canals and rivers. The authoritative advice and information will inspire confidence and allow everyone to enjoy a successful, relaxing and safe experience on the water.
• Advice on what type of boating holiday.
• Where and when to go.
• Booking your boat.
• The necessary preparation.
• Starting your first trip.
• Boat handling.
• Negotiating locks, bridges, tunnels and aqueducts.
• Safety on board.
• Problems you may encounter and how to deal with them.
• Those extra-special places to see and things to do.
• Boating in Ireland and Europe.
• Buying a boat and boat ownership.
• Appendices cover walking and cycling along the waterways; communication on board (mobiles and laptops); where to get more information; boat shows, events and rallies; waterway guides, magazines and videos; glossary of boating terms; bibliography.
Illustrations clearly explain the practical points, photographs show the special nature of the waterways and their features, and maps illustrate the entire inland waterways system and individual canals and rivers.
Publisher: Harper Collins
Date published: 2007
Format: Soft back